couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: CouchDB shared hosting
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:13:21 GMT
On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:04:58PM +0400, Sergey Shepelev wrote:
> > We want to know if the following is possible now or in the near future. When
> > it is possible we probably want to add the CouchDB to our standard packages.
> > - Access to a database based on the username and password
>
> That's not DB job, you can do it with proxying http server. (nginx,
> lighttpd, varnish)

I disagree.

> > - Require that the connections comes from a "trusted" IP or from any IP (can
> > also be done by a firewall)
>
> That's not DB job, you know how to do it, why are you asking? :)

I presume he's asking because he wants to know if CouchDB offers it anyway.

> > - The option to change rights and/or passwords for a user with commands (so
> > it can be done automatically)
>
> You can write scripts to change proxying http server configs and make
> it reload them with commands. In fact, there is no such thing in the
> world, that can't be done "with commands, automatically".

He clearly means programmatic access, instead of via a GUI interface. If you had
spent any time administrating a shared access computer system, you would realise
how important this question is.

> > - The option to create/delete users/databases with commands (so it can be
> > done automatically)
>
> You can create/delete databases as simply as curl -X PUT/DELETE db.host/database

You can find more documentation on the wiki:

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_database_API

> > - 1 instance for multiple databases (not an instance per database)
>
> CouchDB can do that. But requirement doesn't make sense.

Why doesn't his requirement make sense?

> > Currently we work with:
> > - MySQL
> > - MSSQL
> > - Postgresql
>
> You realize, that CouchDB is totally different from those, right?

He probably does, which is why this is such a big deal.

I think the tone of your email could have been improved. While I appreciate that
you were trying to help, we all need to try our best to foster a friendly and
supportive environment on the mailing lists.

Thanks,