couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nathan Stott <nrst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Win32 installation (building the Couch ERL driver DLL).
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:07:50 GMT
I would severely advise against trying to build couchdb by creating a VS2008
project.
The easiest way to build couch on windows is to get the src for
couchdb-win32 from my github or from markh's.  Follow the directions in the
README.  We need to update the wiki to add links to these githubs i guess.

http://github.com/nrstott/couchdb-win32/tree/master

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Heiden, W van - SPLXL <
Walter-van.Heiden@klm.com> wrote:

> [...]
> work-in-progress:
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> I have used http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Windows as a
> starting point but ended up with a non-working CouchDB.
>

> Since I had Visual Studio 2008 installed, the steps for the GNU C Compiler
> or Visual C++ Compiler is not tested.
>

> Step 0: Pre-requisites
>
> a) OTP/Erlang environment
>
> b) Win32 C Compiler/Linker (e.g. GCC, Visual C++ Express Edition or Visual
> Studio 2008)
>
> c) OpenSSL (an open-source implementation of Secure Socket Layer)
>
> d) ICU (a library providing Unicode and Globalization support)
>
> e) SpiderMonkey (Mozilla's C implementation of JavaScript)
>

> Step 1: Download the pre-requisites
>
> a) download the Erlang Windows binary (otp_win32_R13B01.exe) from
> http://www.erlang.org/download.html
>
> b) download the Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualc/default.aspx
>
> c) download an OpenSSL binary distribution from
> http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html, e.g.
> http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
>
> d) download the ICU Windows binary (icu4c-4_2_0_1-Win32-msvc9.zip) from
> http://icu-project.org/download/4.2.html
>
> e) download the SpiderMonkey source-code (js-1.7.0.tar.gz) from
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/
>

> Step 2: Installing the pre-requisites
>
> a) run otp_win32_R13B01.exe to install Erlang into directory c:\erl-5.7.2
>
> b) run the Visual C++ installer (since I had Visual Studio 2008 installed
> this step is not tested)
>
> c) run the win32OpenSSL_Light-0_9_8k.exe to install the OpenSSL libraries
> into directory c:\openssl-0.9.8
>
> d) unpack the ICU package into directory c:\icu-4.2.0.1
>
> e) unpack the SpiderMonkey source-code into directory c:\js-1.7.0
>

> Step 3: Configuring the pre-requistes
>
> a) run werl.exe from c:\erl-5.7.2\bin to start the Erlang shell (exit the
> shell if it works, otherwise check the installation)
>
> please check that mochiweb is not available inside the lib directory
>
> - use a SVN client a-la TortoiseSVN to check-out the Mochiweb source-code
> at http://code.google.com/p/mochiweb/ to c:\mochiweb-trunk
>
> - (from the DOS prompt) compile the sources using the bash and make from
> the mozilla-build directory
>
> -- open een DOS box
>
> -- start the bash shell with \mozilla-build-1.3\msys\bin\bash.exe --login
> -i
>
> -- from this shell type cd c:/mochiweb-trunk/src
>
> -- type make to build mochiweb
>
> -- copy the c:\mochiweb-trunk\ebin directory to
> c:\erl-5.7.2\lib\mochiweb\ebin
>
> b) run nmake.exe from c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\bin
>
> c) check for lib*.dll in the c:\openssl-0.9.8 directory
>
> d) check for lib*.dll in the c:\icu-4.2.0.1\bin directory and copy lib*.dll
> to c:\erl-5.7.2\bin
>
> e) check for *.c in the c:\js-1.7.0\src directory
>
> please check that there are no *.dll or *.exe files in the directory

install into directory c:\mozilla-build-1.3