couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Sam Bisbee" <sbis...@computervip.com>
Subject Re: User Uniqueness Validation
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:58:36 GMT
Greetings,

>So, I've got a situation where I want to maintain a CouchDB database
>of users that have a user name and email address. Given that the user
>name needs to be unique—and is significant to my URL scheme—I've
>chosen to use that as the document ID.

While I don't know the full context of your situation, I would still use a generated id for
users. This makes life much easier in the software's life cycle. For example, what if you
want to do away with user names and just use e-mail addresses? Or you need to generically
identify a user but don't have access to their user name? Now you need to re-rig your code
to use a different id scheme. I've found it much easier to just take the user id generated
by the index or my code's logic and use that as my primary identifier in the database. I've
found this to be database agnostic.

>However, I'd also like to maintain uniqueness of the email addresses
>across users... Any ideas about how to best accomplish this?

While those with more experience than me on the Couch may have a better technique, I have
always just constructed a view that outputs the users' email addresses as keys. Then I can
query the view with ?key='emailInQuestion' and if the returned array has any results then
the e-mail is already registered. This also scales nicely with cases where users can have
more than one email associated to them.

--
Sam Bisbee