couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jim Puls <...@nondifferentiable.com>
Subject Re: Why is CouchDB frequently re-indexing my views from scratch?
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:32:24 GMT
On Jun 18, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Damien Katz wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 2:42 PM, Nadav Samet wrote:
>
>> Does the design doc change? Views are regenerated following any
>> edit of the
>> design doc that contains them.
>
> Yes, good question. Though one small correction, it's not just any
> edit of the design document, only a change to a view will trigger
> the reindexing. You can edit other parts of a design doc just fine.
>
> -Damien

It appears that every time my server restarts, CouchRest is re-saving
the design doc for its models. This brings up two questions:

1. Should CouchRest be doing this? Should I find a way around it so
that the design docs don't get re-saved unless they change? I seem to
recall that previous versions took a hash of the view contents to
avoid this very problem.
2. Should CouchDB be reindexing views that were re-saved, unchanged
from their previous content?

-> jp