couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Optimizing view building
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:24:47 GMT
On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 12:18:34AM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> beam & couchjs wait for each other while the respective partner process
> is working. There is room for optimization, we haven't gotten around to
> that yet :)

I would very much like to see this. I have a small test database with only
~1,400 documents, expanding to maybe ~12,000 key/value pairs. On my 1.2GHz
laptop it takes only about 2 seconds to bulk-load these documents, but over
90 seconds to index them.

My first job will be to turn this into a proper reproducible benchmark, and
then to see how much erlview improves it.

But I'm hoping that some sort of batching of view processing would make as
big a difference to view performance as it does when bulk loading. (Perhaps
send 1MB of documents at a time to the view server?)

Regards,

Brian.