couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I'd like a dish of JavaScript Awesome, please!
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 22:02:20 GMT
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Ben Browning <ben324@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not working on this to be a futon replacement or any other grand
> goal - it just looked like a fun thing to do. There are lots of
> unsolved problems and I'd love some discussion around potential
> solutions:
>
> Authentication - right now I punt and just log you in as a fake user.
> I saw some discussion on getting cookie-based auth in CouchApp and
> we'd probably need something similar to have a usable auth system.
>
> Filesystem implementations - I really have two ideas here. The first
> is to make every CouchApp on a given database(can I do cross-database?
> probably...) a Project in the Bespin world.

there is some code for finding all design documents in the
jquery.couch.js that ships with CouchDB trunk. It should be easy to
port to dojo.

> Then, all the app's
> attachments would appear as editable files in the dashboard. The
> second part is to have regular CouchDB docs appear as files enabling
> you to edit docs, views, etc with nice javascript syntax highlighting.
> My next main focus is getting at least one of these two options fully
> functional for CRUD stuff.
>
> Dojo vs jQuery - Bespin uses Dojo for all its javascript. There are a
> few nice CouchDB helper functions written in jQuery. Should I just
> include both or make a special port of those helpers to Dojo?

I'd start by looking at Dojo's native Couch support but if that turns
out to be too heavyweight you could port this pretty quickly. But I'm
+1 on getting more than just jQuery into our toolkit.

This is really cool!

On the security of having a CouchApp edit CouchApps: I don't see
anything wrong with it. As the editing user will have to provide
db-admin credentials to save anyway. Bespin may try to do a local
save-cache on the Bespin app's db, so you'd have to be careful about
sharing an editor-db with someone else. Otherwise, I don't see a
problem.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net