couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to do http request within server-side _show or _view functions?
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 19:53:58 GMT
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Scott Shumaker <sshumaker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently at the cost of limiting the functionality of dozens of
> unrelated features - everything from transactions to validation.
>
> I grow ever more convinced that CouchDB's replication is an albatross.

An albatross is only bad once you kill it. :)

>  It's analogous to RAID-1 - easy to code but pretty limited (and now
> very outdated) tech.  It wouldn't be a problem if it were an isolated
> feature, but it hamstrings so many others.
>
> Maybe it makes sense for a particular kind of project, but for most
> real-world applications you can get better (more scalable, higher
> performant, and more reliable) results with some sort of Paxos or
> Vector-clock architecture with multiple committers and readers.  I do
> hope to see CouchDB move in that direction - and I think it has a good
> chance of becoming the web persistent storage engine of choice if it
> does.

If you really want to see CouchDB move towards a replication mechanism
that's more complicated than the current model, its going to take no
less than working code. I've seen some literature that leads me to
believe that we could extend the current model to add more operational
modes (and allow for more advanced features in other places). Though
in my priority queue this ranks somewhere around "would be
interesting" and thus is barely a blip on the radar considering all
the other work that needs to be done.

HTH,
Paul Davis