couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: possible bug using bulk docs?
Date Fri, 01 May 2009 22:59:49 GMT
James,

This sounds like you're hitting Erlang's out of memory handling. Which
is to shutdown the entire VM. Part of the Erlang way is to fail fast
and allow the code to be restarted. It'd probably be better if we
maybe try and detect that we're running out of memory but that seems
like it could get 'interesting' real quick.

If you're doing things with attachments, you might check out the
standalone API as that should make more efficient use of memory. If
your JSON is really that big, you'll just have to tune your _bulk_docs
size to fit in RAM. And remember that there can be three copies of
your JSON in ram when you have the JSON string, the Erlang term
representation, and the binary before writing to disk.

HTH,
Paul Davis