couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Macdonald <macfisher...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: specifying an _id results in a much smaller DB?
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 14:08:43 GMT
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd be _very_ surprised if the two compacted DBs differed substantially in size.  They
should both weigh in smaller than 3.4G, since the compactor writes documents in larger blocks
than you appear to be doing.

> I don't know anything about your server setup, but an order-of-magnitude estimate for
compacting a DB that size these days would be 1 hour, not 1 day. Best,

> Adam

It took over a day to initially load the data. I was under the
impression that compacting the DB took place _after_ loading the data.
Do I have the wrong impression?

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA