couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Scott Shumaker <sshuma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to do http request within server-side _show or _view functions?
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 19:19:09 GMT
Apparently at the cost of limiting the functionality of dozens of
unrelated features - everything from transactions to validation.

I grow ever more convinced that CouchDB's replication is an albatross.
 It's analogous to RAID-1 - easy to code but pretty limited (and now
very outdated) tech.  It wouldn't be a problem if it were an isolated
feature, but it hamstrings so many others.

Maybe it makes sense for a particular kind of project, but for most
real-world applications you can get better (more scalable, higher
performant, and more reliable) results with some sort of Paxos or
Vector-clock architecture with multiple committers and readers.  I do
hope to see CouchDB move in that direction - and I think it has a good
chance of becoming the web persistent storage engine of choice if it
does.

Scott