couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Marca <>
Subject possible bug using bulk docs?
Date Fri, 01 May 2009 20:41:34 GMT
Hi All,

I'm getting an out of memory type of crash when uploading lots of
files using bulk docs, and I'm wondering whether
this is a known issue or user error.

I set the logging to debug and this is what I see:

[Fri, 01 May 2009 20:27:30 GMT] [debug] [<0.108.0>] 'POST'
/d12_june2007/_bulk_docs {1,1}
Headers: [{'Connection',"TE, close"},

[Fri, 01 May 2009 20:31:01 GMT] [info] [<0.108.0>] - -
'POST' /d12_june2007/_bulk_docs 201

In top I can watch the RAM usage go up and down until finally it peaks
and the server is just gone.

That content length is from 1278 documents.  I can easily split that
pile up into fewer documents (and that is what I am going to do) but
I thought I'd raise the issue here as this feels like a software bug

I am running the release 0.9, on Gentoo, using the gentoo ebuild,
x86_64 using the latest (compiled yesterday) release of erlang on

I'm more than happy to pull new code from git or svn to test things
out too.

James E. Marca
Institute of Transportation Studies
AIRB Suite 4000