couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The sum function (used in reduce)
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:15:32 GMT
On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Wojciech Kaczmarek
> <kaczmarek.w@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now I see similar questions emerged. So my point is now: Is there a
>> way, existing or planned, to share some functions between views
>> without using couchapp macros?
>>

> No such plans. The functions are stored according to a hash of their
> byte representation, so it's important that the function doesn't load
> any additional code, changing its behavior without changing its
> byte-string. Hence the use-case for something like CouchApp.

The reason for the hashing is that we need to know when the function
changes to know when to reindex documents. Storing library code
somewhere ends up making this a bit more complicated. I wouldn't call
it out of the question to have something, but I don't think its on
anyone's agenda as things like CouchApp alleviate most of the need for
it.

HTH,
Paul Davis