couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions on View performance optimization/improvement
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:37:38 GMT
> Can anything be done to reduce the 90 mins taken to build the required B-Tree index the
first time?

Probably :D There has been nearly zero effort in making the view
generation faster. Other than a couple experiments here and there by
various people, no one has even really spent time benchmarking and
measuring the various bits to see what's actually taking time.

At the moment, the big three contenders are disk io, for which there's
little hope to optimize other than maybe some clever thinking on
ordering of writes to the btree. Moving JSON conversion from Erlang to
C has had some work put into it, but who's to say when or if that
would hit Erlang trunk. And then last but not least is adding
concurrency to passing documents through the JS process. The last bit
is probably easiest, but most reports say that couchjs is sitting
around 30% cpu indicating its not really the bottleneck quite yet.

The only thing I can say at the moment is either, wait a bit for the
optimization work, submit a patch that has a demonstrable effect, or
submit reports and scripts to get timings of view generation on a
public reference database.

Also, for JSON in C, the most current code is at
http://github.com/davisp/eep0018 its been used with trunk to some
extent, but there are still some issues with 100% compatibility.

HTH,
Paul Davis