couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Wout Mertens <wout.mert...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Entity Relationships in CouchDB
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:43:09 GMT
On Apr 14, 2009, at 5:56 AM, Jason Smith wrote:

> That's cool.  Some thoughts:
>
> 1. I changed the first sentence a little to better comply with the
> document's CC-A license.

Thanks!

> 2. Do you think the word "Joins" should be added somewhere to get
> into Google?  IMO this document is a better way to learn than the
> slightly more dense ViewCollation page.

Good idea, I sprinkled it around a little where appropriate.

> 3. Couch is different from App Engine WRT (at least) transactions
> and indexing.  Most people can use App Engine somewhat quickly
> because there is still a facility for transactions involving several
> objects.  (It's not a RDBMs but you can still do it.)  Whereas with
> CouchDB, the unit of atomicity is the document.

Do you think the document should touch on that? In these simple
examples, there's nothing to transact :-/. Maybe there should be a
recipe book for transaction avoidance? (like using a running sum on
bank account transfers)

>  Speaking of documents, I'm not sure there is as big of a
> performance penalty for large Couch documents vs. large App Engine
> models.  App Engine indexes every possible combination of attributes
> that you might ever query against, but in CouchDB, you write your
> own indexes which, stored separately from the main data.  So you
> could have a large complex document (for atomic modification), but
> mostly read its data via various views which cherry-pick the
> important parts.

I tried to make it clearer that big documents mean slow transfer times
on writes, feel free to amend if you see a better way to express it.

> In short, I'm not sure Couch has the same performance
> characteristics as App Engine for data.  Specifically, I would be
> tempted to use the "list of keys" method for as long as possible
> since you can get to your data in one view request.  (But I'm no
> expert.)

Definitely, it's the easiest to use...

> Still, for the large portion of applications which don't have major
> performance requirements, this is a great document!  I like how it
> teaches how to do "joins" without using scary words like "view
> collation" and "map/reduce"!

Thanks :-)

Wout.