couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Manjunath Somashekhar <manjunath_somashek...@yahoo.com>
Subject Suggestions on View performance optimization/improvement
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:12:07 GMT

hi All,

We have been using couchdb (built out of trunk) for prototyping an idea and would like to
thank and congratulate you folks for a simple and usable schema free db.

We plan to store few million documents in couchdb and we would like to create couple of views
to fetch the data appropriately. We have inserted a million documents (each containing about
20 fields). We are indexing/creating a view on a particular field of the document. The map
function of the view is simple straight forward emit (emit(doc.field, doc)). It takes about
90 mins to build the required B-Tree index the first time. All the subsequent queries are
performing extremely well (milli second responses). Can anything be done to reduce the 90
mins taken to build the required B-Tree index the first time?

Environment details:
Couchdb - 0.9.0a757326
Erlang - 5.6.5
Linux kernel - 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu distribution
Centrino Dual core, 4GB RAM laptop

Thanks
Manju