couchdb-user mailing list archives

From László Bácsi <lac...@lackac.hu>
Subject complicated entities with i18n
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:44:50 GMT
Hi,

this is my first mail to the list so I'm László Bácsi from Hungary working
for Virgo Systems as the chief Ruby engineer.

We're in the planning stages for a client project. This involves a number of
models some with overlapping properties and a lot of associations between
models. For example, there's an Institute model which there are 9 different
types of, each with their own specific properties and 6-8 properties which
are available for every type of Institute. Additionally each model has some
properties which needs i18n.

Designing this with RDBMS is a nightmare. I was thinking about using
CouchDB, but I have a lot of fears regarding this:

Lack of experience: there will be at least 3 people working on the backend
side of the project excluding me and the others have no experience with
CouchDB, schema-less databases and MapReduce.

Early stages: I've been using CouchDB in a personal project since December.
During this time I had one occasion where I had to upgrade to get a new
feature and that upgrade needed a newer Erlang version which I had to
compile from source because there were no packages, etc. Even after the
successful installation I had to rewrite some of my code to accommodate
changes in CouchDB's handling of design documents.

ok, this is becoming long, so I wrap up. Would you build a project like this
which would need 4-5 month of work with a 4-5 people team with no experience
on CouchDB? If yes how would you approach the problems I mentioned?

Cheers,
LacKac