couchdb-user mailing list archives

From László Bácsi <>
Subject complicated entities with i18n
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:44:50 GMT

this is my first mail to the list so I'm László Bácsi from Hungary working
for Virgo Systems as the chief Ruby engineer.

We're in the planning stages for a client project. This involves a number of
models some with overlapping properties and a lot of associations between
models. For example, there's an Institute model which there are 9 different
types of, each with their own specific properties and 6-8 properties which
are available for every type of Institute. Additionally each model has some
properties which needs i18n.

Designing this with RDBMS is a nightmare. I was thinking about using
CouchDB, but I have a lot of fears regarding this:

Lack of experience: there will be at least 3 people working on the backend
side of the project excluding me and the others have no experience with
CouchDB, schema-less databases and MapReduce.

Early stages: I've been using CouchDB in a personal project since December.
During this time I had one occasion where I had to upgrade to get a new
feature and that upgrade needed a newer Erlang version which I had to
compile from source because there were no packages, etc. Even after the
successful installation I had to rewrite some of my code to accommodate
changes in CouchDB's handling of design documents.

ok, this is becoming long, so I wrap up. Would you build a project like this
which would need 4-5 month of work with a 4-5 people team with no experience
on CouchDB? If yes how would you approach the problems I mentioned?