couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Orr <>
Subject Map / Reduce limits
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 07:06:09 GMT
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Chris Anderson <> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Nicholas Orr <> wrote:
>> Also for anyone who happens upon this. [ original mail thread at
couchrest group]
>> I've solved my original problem of being able to lookup the families
>> by make. Map/Reduce is a tricky bugger after dealing with rdbms for so
>> long, requires a logic shift :)
> If there are only a few families, it should be fine. Basically, it has
> to fit in working set, which is governed by B-tree block size and
> couchjs memory availability.

There are ~18,000 documents (grows by about 50 each month) the max
number of families per make (123 makes) is about 50.

Thoughts on those numbers?

I haven't got the importer hooked up to import all the data into CouchDB as yet.
When I do I'll be to test to see if couch is going to make things
simple or not / handle the data.

I like couch because 1 document can have all the data in one place
related to a unit (car,boat,bike).

Then with sinatra/couchrest a simple lookup service is just that, simple :)

View raw message