couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb attachments vs storing files on fs or s3 like service
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:15:24 GMT
Benoit,

I think that it'd be hard to tell a priori what the better of the two
schemes would be. I think the big trade off is that CouchDB doesn't have
access to sendfile, vs your webserver doesn't have the ease of
replicating around attachments with your records.

In other words, if this is only ever going to be served from a single
host, it could be faster to not use files in the main database, but if
you ever envision using any sharding or distributedness then it may end
up being faster in the long run to be able to replicate all your data
without thinking about syncing the external filesystem.

In the end, I think your best bet would be to measure twice and cut once
though.

HTH,
Paul Davis