couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: how to ensure transactions over multiple documents?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:58:10 GMT
Tim Parkin wrote:
> Jason Smith wrote:
>> Hi, Andrius.  I'm not familiar enough with Spring but yes, perhaps a
>> synchronization mechanism would work there.
>>
>> Andrius Juozapaitis wrote:
>>> Hey Jason,
>>>
>>> I can't seem to get my head around this. I use gwt + spring + jcouchdb
>>> + couchdb. I'd guess that you're suggesting serializing writes to
>>> couchdb in spring layer, using some kind of synchronization mechanism?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Andrius
>
> Hi Jason..
>
> I'm not familiar with your use of synchronisation here. Could you
> outline how you would ensure multi update integrity using
> syncronisation? I'll add it to my documentation for the bulk update
> integrity stuff..

I'm not sure, as I have always relied on ACID-compliant relational DBs.
  If I absolutely had to have transactions implemented on CouchDB then I
would probably begin by learning about well-known locking, transaction,
and logging designs from a good book or other source.  If I absolutely
couldn't re-engineer to have all transactions occur at the document
level of CouchDB--in other words, if I absolutely had to have a locking,
transactional, replicating key/value store, then I would probably
implement my project on top of Berkeley DB directly and just use its API
for all of those features.

--
Jason Smith
Proven Corporation