couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: how to ensure transactions over multiple documents?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:08:49 GMT
Tim Parkin wrote:
> I'm afraid at the moment the only way of doing this is through a patch
> submittd by Antony Blakey which reintroduces the old transactional
> behaviour of bulk_docs.

It's been said, but the idea is that you code transactional behavior in
your application, using CouchDB for storage and retrieval (with atomic
semantics at the document level).

On the bright side, once you get it working, you know you won't have
issues when you start using CouchDB clusters.

I like this minimalist design.  It reminds me of how Subversion provides
transactional semantics on top of key/value database (Berkly the FS).
It seems to me that transactional behavior best belongs in a middleware
layer like CouchDB-Lounge.  I'd love to see some kind of proxy with its
own API to implement different transaction patterns.

--
Jason Smith
Proven Corporation