couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for digital signatures of documents
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:40:25 GMT
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Jason Smith <jhs@proven-corporation.com> wrote:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:42:10PM -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
>>>
>>> The overall picture here is not getting it right but rather having
>>> running code.
>>
>> I absolutely disagree, but that's just how I roll.

My point is that I'd have no idea what should go in such a draft until
I'd actually squashed bugs in real implementations. I've got nothing
against standardization but to me the implementation doesn't seem like
a huge challenge. Build it first, fix it for a while, battle test it,
then think about writing it up in non-code. But we're just talking
about different rolling patterns...

>> It seems the goal here was to collaboratively develop a standard for
>> interop
>> between developers in the community. Opening that up to the CouchDB
>> community is
>> great, but it's not enough. If this is something that I'm going to care
>> about, I
>> need to see it opened up to the entire engineering community, and focusing
>> our
>> efforts around an RFC is exactly the way to do that.
>
> Hell, why stop there?  Send it to the United Nations.  Or the United
> Federation of Planets.
>
> I agree with Noah in principle, but the low chance of receiving an IETF RFC
> blessing discourages me from investing my own time into pursuing that.
>
> Earlier, someone called this middle-ware and I like that idea.  It seems
> improper to be in CouchDB itself.  Perhaps it could be an external process,
> or as another HTTP service (either an intelligent CouchDB proxy or just a
> separate tool that depends on couch).  Since developers of all languages
> would likely want this, it doesn't make sense to do it as e.g. a Python
> library.

This could be implemented in JavaScript as a replicateable reusable
CouchApp. I'd venture to guess that I could get it to handle the easy
cases in a short afternoon. No timeframe for getting started, I got
other fish to fry.

Cheers,
Chris

--