couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 22:21:52 GMT
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> wrote:

> At the moment there's no front-end which makes this process half decent. In
> any case, any "generic" front-end could, at best, show you all the versions
> side by side and ask you to pick the right one by hand, as it has no way of
> knowing which is the best one.

This sounds like it would be an afternoon Futon hack.

> If desktop distros had included 0.8.1, then probably all apps would have to
> stick with the 0.8.1 API for that span of time. The alternative is to
> release 0.9.0 and break all the apps which used it.

I agree with you hear, Brian. Building apps against CouchDB trunk is
fine for developers, but unless you want to support out of date
environments with new apps, it's probably better not to encourage
standalone Couch on non-developer desktops except for at releases.
Luckily 0.9.0 is around the corner.

> FWIW, I don't think CouchDB's strengths particularly play to the desktop.

Ha! We'll see about that. ;)

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com