couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 04:38:11 GMT
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM, kowsik <kowsik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking of couchlite, I would __love__ to see parallel map/reduce. I
> got this 100K+ doc database and the instant-gratification-factor for
> trying out new views just sucks (takes about 15 minutes). I have to
> reduce the doc count, just so I can try out new ideas in terms of
> views. And it's on a dual quad-core system. The other 7 cpus badly
> want to relax on the couch, but can't. :-(

I haven't had a chance yet, but one science experiment that might help
with identifying bottlenecks would be Michael McDaniel's erlang view
server:
http://github.com/mmcdanie/erlview/tree/master

My gut tells me that the bottleneck is index insertion, and not view
function execution. Erlang views should have almost no overhead, so we
can guess at the best case for parallel JS view servers. It maybe that
to get true parallelism we need to parallelize indexing and not just
generation...

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com