couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: View collation
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:03:29 GMT
Kowsik,

This is how JSON is sorted by type. For reference the current version
looks like this:

type_sort(V) when is_atom(V) -> 0;
type_sort(V) when is_integer(V) -> 1;
type_sort(V) when is_float(V) -> 1;
type_sort(V) when is_binary(V) -> 2;
type_sort(V) when is_list(V) -> 3;
type_sort({V}) when is_list(V) -> 4;
type_sort(V) when is_tuple(V) -> 5.

This means, that all atoms (null, true, false) sort first, then
integers, floats, binaries (strings), lists (arrays), and then {V}
when is_list(V) (objects). I'm pretty sure that the last one with V
when is_tuple(V) is for making sure couchdb internal structures get
sorted last because I don't think its possible for an Erlang
representation of JSON to get past the previous line.

The {obj, _} code you see is the old version of {V} when is_list(V)
because of the changes in the Erlang representation of JSON since 0.8.
For reference, {obj, [{<<"key">>, 1}]} became {[{<<"key">>, 1}]} which
represents {"key": 1}

HTH,
Paul Davis