couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using mutliple cores for view computation
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:43:00 GMT
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see anything out of the ordinary there. If you're not on trunk
>> then you'll definitely want to upgrade.
>
> my working copy is just 3 days old.
>
> Revision: 755487
> Last Changed Date: 2009-03-17 11:52:57 +0000 (Tue, 17 Mar 2009)
>
> I have about 30M documents and size of database is 26G.
>
> One thing that is worrying me is couchjs is not taking much cpu, most
> of the time cpu is taken by beam.smp. And it looks like both of them
> are sharing single core. At least, these 2 processes can take one core
> each. Any idea why it is not so?

If they required more than a single core they would take different
cores. But beam.smp is going to be waiting on blocking io while
couchjs is working and vice versa so your kernel might be keeping them
on the same core for efficiency. If you started building another view
it should bring up a new JS process and use a second core as expected.
As Jan said, we haven't done anything at all to optimize any of this
obviously. I wouldn't pay so much attention to the process table. You
should be able to estimate the amount of time it'll take from the
status page in Futon.

HTH,
Paul Davis