couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using mutliple cores for view computation
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:49:05 GMT
A slight clarification, JS itself is multi-threaded. Couchjs is just
not implemented as a threaded view server. I've contemplated giving
view servers the ability to exectute multiple jobs simultaneously but
there are a couple of things that make it not a priority.

Firstly, view computation is generally reported to be rate limited by
disk write throughput. Secondly, why move all that complicated
threading logic into the view server when erlang can just spawn four
os processes. There's definitely room for improvement in OS process
handling but I would place any major parallelization type changes post
1.0.

HTH,
Paul Davis