couchdb-user mailing list archives

From howard chen <howac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use couchdb as the data store for real-time chat room
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:32:18 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Jason Davies <jason@jasondavies.com> wrote:
> CouchDB gives you a lot more for
> free (flexible schema, replication and in general designed for high
> scalability) so I would recommend giving it a try.

Sure will have a try later on.

>> 2. Is Memcached useless if I am using couchdb?
>
> I'm guessing memcached would still be useful as a caching layer to squeeze
> that extra bit of speed if you have the RAM, but maybe someone else can
> speak from experience.

The reason I ask is since couchdb output JSON, so ideal case is to let
users contact couchdb directly in term of scalability. If adding a
cache layer using Memcached which eat data from HTTP response seems
too much overhead involved as Memcached is a also key-value store.

Don't know if couchdb has some kind of query cache and how to tune?
Oh..maybe I should use squid?

Howard