couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Introducing CouchDB Ltd.
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 17:34:03 GMT
Dear CouchDB Community,

Chris Anderson, Francesco Cesarini, Marcus Taylor and I are proud to
present CouchDB Ltd., a CouchDB-centered support, consulting, training
& development company.

Why a commercial entity? I (Jan) have been doing commercial CouchDB
consulting for the last nine months and I simply can't keep up with
the demand. So I started looking for partners. First, meet Francesco
and Marcus of Erlang Training and Consulting. They are providing the
same services we will provide for CouchDB, just for Erlang. With
CouchDB written in Erlang, this couldn't be a better fit. Next up is
Chris. I don't have to tell you how much of CouchDB's success is part
of his work. He's also been working on CouchDB-related things only for
the past months. The Ltd. is simply a way of organizing our efforts
and fulfilling the enormous (really) demand for professional CouchDB
services.

Where is the catch? — We have a hard time finding one. Chris and I
both live and breath open source and so far, all our commercial
projects have allowed us to contribute back to the CouchDB source or
related open source projects. And we will continue to do so. Instead
of a catch, we believe that this of great benefit for CouchDB and the
community. We'll have two more full-time CouchDB contributers, next to
Damien. Hooray!

The CouchDB Ltd. website will go live at http://couchdb.com/ in the
next one or two weeks. We'll make sure that there's a link and a note
back to the official website & project on every relevant page. CouchDB
Ltd. is at it's heart an open source company, invested in the success
of CouchDB. We believe that making commercial support available will
extend the range of companies and products that are able and willing
to take a bet on a new technology.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this thread or email
Chris or me directly.

Thank you all for making CouchDB the phenomenal success it is now!

Cheers
Jan, Chris, Francesco & Marcus