couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why sequential document ids? [was: Re: What's the speed(performance) of couchdb?]
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:41:32 GMT

On 03/03/2009, at 5:20 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>>
>> What security issues are you thinking of?
>
> The one where you can tell by looking at a doc, which node it was
> inserted on. I suppose that's not strictly security - more like
> anonymity.

If you want to a feature such as replication tracking i.e. who have I
replicated from, and how up-to-date am I, the ability to track the
replication source chould would be a good thing. It would allow a
computed version-vector form of staleness-tracking.

More would be required than just having a source identifier, because
you would need to map that identifier to a domain useful to the user,
but it would be a start.

I wonder if anonymity, even transitive anonymity, is that useful?

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
society.
   -- Jiddu Krishnamurti