couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>
Subject Re: Peer to peer replication
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:09:09 GMT

On Mar 8, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Brian Candler wrote:

> In my opinion (which doesn't count for much here :-), git is what
> you want for this.

…or any other modern distributed VCS (I happen to prefer Mercurial
over Git.) But these have very different semantics than CouchDB, in
other ways.
- They bundle multiple db updates into atomic revisions
- They have no structure in their documents [except for interpreting
line-breaks for diff purposes]
- No REST API
- No indexing, view, queries.

You could implement CouchDB-type features on top of git/Mercurial/
darcs, as you suggest, but I think going the other direction is worth
investigating too.

—Jens