couchdb-user mailing list archives

From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discard old version while update document
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 01:42:40 GMT
This is something that I brought up before as well. For the most part,
I never have to look at couch and can just relax, *except* compaction.
I periodically have to go into the Futon UI and hit compact while
keeping an eye on the traffic (and hence the writes). I suppose the
only way out right now is to "lock" at the application level, invoke
compact and wait until it's done to keep the file size sane.

K.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Niket Patel <nexneo@me.com> wrote:

>>Whether that reduction from quadratic to linear metadata growth is a
>>big win for you depends on the frequency of updates and the size of
>>the document.  If the frequently-updated documents are really large
>>the DB file size growth will be dominated by document data rather than
>>the revision metadata.  Hope it helps,
>>

> Certainly it helped, I will do some testing to understand benefit clearly for my use
case but seems like the thing I wanted to know.