couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Volker Mische <volker.mis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using couchdb for 100GB geodata from openstreetmap
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:32:32 GMT
Hi,

I'll only reply to the GeoCouch bit:

> I've read about geocouch -
> http://vmx.cx/cgi-bin/blog/index.cgi/geocouch-geospatial-queries-with-couchdb:2008-10-26:en,CouchDB,Python,geo
> and my question is if a geo aware couchdb can be built without any python
> and SpatiaLite code?
>
> If I want to be able to make proximity searches - find banks in 3km range
> from st some-street
> do I need to create some kind of index docs for the views?

The problem is that proximity searches are kind of dynamic. CouchDB
views are like precomputed result-sets, but you can't precompute all
possible values, as the center of the search could possibly be anywhere.
Therefore you need something that makes such dynamic requests possible.

Pure CouchDB could be used if you constrain your searches. You would
need to restrict to things like, a certain number for the center of
searches, only a fixed number of radii, and a fixed number of location
types (like banks, restaurants etc).

Cheers,
  Volker