couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Zoltan Lajos Kis <ki...@tmit.bme.hu>
Subject CouchDB, property tables and i18n
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:10:17 GMT
Hi all,

I've been thinking about moving to CouchDB, because this scheme would
fit much better my application, however I could not yet figure out how
properties and i18n can be
done nicely with CouchDB. Currently in my relational database model I
follow the convention that my "objects" reference property tables, and
also property_translation tables
reference the property tables. A silly example:

Person table
---------------------
name | eye_color_id
==============
Zoltan|blue_id
---------------------

Color table
---------------------
color_id|rgb_code
==============
blue_id|#0000ff
---------------------

Color translation table
----------------------
color_id|lang|name
==============
blue_id|en|"blue"
blue_id|hu|"kék"
----------------------

I understand I could be using person documents, like:

type: "person"
name: "Zoltan"
eye_color: "blue"

but where should I put the additional information, like the rgb color,
and the translations if my aim is, let's say, to display a list of
persons, using a given language and showing the
eye color text of the person in its real color.
I think replicating the color code and translations in all documents is
unacceptable. I also would like to avoid using gettext like
translations, i.e. pulling a long document containing
all translations, and doing the translation on the "client side". Any
ideas are welcome! :)

Kindest Regards,
Zoltan.