couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: equivalent of JOINs in couchdb?
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:16:47 GMT
Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> I want to store books in couchdb with each book having title, authors,
>> isbn, lccn, publisher and many other fields.
>> I would like to be able to query the system for any combination of
>> these. some thing like:
>>
>> type="book" and publisher="foo" and author="bar
>> type="book" and isbn="1234567890"
>>
>> How to do this in couchdb?
>
> http://www.cmlenz.net/archives/2007/10/couchdb-joins

I would also suggest looking at the couchdb-lucene project:

http://github.com/rnewson/couchdb-lucene/tree/master

I found that it's pretty easy to get up and running, and it seems to
index your documents based on their top-level keys.  So your example of
searching "type:book publisher:foo author:bar" might fit quite well.

(Also, sorry to post across threads, but ISBN is most certainly *not
necessarily unique* per book!  It may be unique for a title (i.e. some
text by some author distributed by some publisher), but of course all
printings of that title have the same ISBN.  For example, a book
inventory application may opt to use one document per book, thereby
having several documents with the same ISBN.)

--
Jason Smith
Proven Corporation