couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: Temporal data
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:07:31 GMT
Jens Alfke wrote:
> It is possible to preserve version history in a distributed system,
> though. Git, Mercurial, Bazaar etc. all do it. I imagine the same
> techniques they use could be implemented at the application level in
> CouchDB, although it seems a bit inelegant to then have two different
> notions of versioning on top of each other.

I'm starting to wonder if the notion that CouchDB (may!) keep old
document versions around shouldn't be bandied about quite so publicly.
It strikes me that it's just a consequence of using MVCC, but as soon as
people (myself included) first read about CouchDB, they think, "Hey, I
can make a wiki with that!"

Come to think of it, Google App Engine has a similar feature and I don't
recall its documentation mentioning MVCC much.  They seemed to just say,
"If you want to update, fetch, change, and commit and the data store may
or may not accept your commit depending on whether your data changed in
the interim."

FWIW.

--
Jason Smith