couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:56:15 GMT
Noah Slater wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:15:18PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> On 5 Mar 2009, at 09:31, Jason Smith wrote:
>>> What are the chances that the free software movers and shakers could
>>> successfully lobby CouchDB to be included in the Freedesktop.org
>>> system?
>> "A couch on every desktop" sounds like a worthy cause and I think it
>> makes sense to spend time on this :)
>
> Come on, let's not make the common mistake of getting distracted with technology
> for technology's sake. I would like to see a detailed use case for having a
> standard CouchDB database available. What actual problem would this solve?

Talk like that is why there is never (let's be kind: "hardly") any
innovation on the Linux desktop.

Anyway, perhaps you're right, but what is the opportunity cost of not
having an advanced data store provided by the OS?  IMO CouchDB is
suitable for a large class of desktop apps as well as web apps.  It's
synchronization features work well with users' distributed-style usage
(where one user may use a laptop, a desktop which dual-boots, and a
workstation at the office, plus cloud/web apps).

Also, I am inspired by the story of SQLite, which suggests that you
ditch your custom binary file format in place of a structured, queryable
format.  For this reason (and others), SQLite has become the most
widely-deployed software package in the world (it's on every Windows,
Mac, and Linux box and a slew of mobile phones).

--
Jason Smith
Proven Corporation