couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 08:31:02 GMT
Hi, all.  I had a thought the other day and wanted to share:

What are the chances that the free software movers and shakers could
successfully lobby CouchDB to be included in the Freedesktop.org system?

Consider DBus, which is a mandatory component of Linux (actually,
Freedesktop) desktops, is now understood by all developers, leading to
more and more apps talking to each other over DBus.  I suggest that
having a document DB built in to all Linux desktops would be true
innovation for Linux development (especially since the GNOME pundits
want to move to "web-aware" desktops).

If there is any chance in Hell that it could gain traction (I'm
enthusiastic but skeptical--IMHO "Linux desktop innovation" is a myth,
but I digress), I'd definitely volunteer to write code, as I have
relevant experience.  I'm thinking of two components:

1. Similar to DBus, you have one CouchDB process per user that runs when
he logs on and exits when he logs out.  (Maybe have a system-wide
CouchDB too but I'm not sure if there is a need.)

2. (I'm surprised this doesn't exist already) A DBus CouchDB client API,
so that nobody has to learn or use HTTP in their code, just the
well-known DBus.

Given 1 and 2, any desktop app could just assume a private (for that
user) DB in the same way they assume a per-user-session DBus bus today.
  So, in summary, I'm asking if it's desirable that modern distros
bundle a document DB (Couch) for all apps to build from.

--
Jason Smith
Proven Corporation