couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Anand Chitipothu <anandol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using mutliple cores for view computation
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:41:32 GMT
> Can you check iostat to see how fast data gets passed to the disk?
> If we're saturating your write speed already, there's no need to go
> multi process.
>
> (I expect that we don't saturate the disk just yet, so yeah there's room
> for improvement, but I don't think disk is fast enough for 4 cores spitting
> out data).

Device:            tps   Blk_read/s   Blk_wrtn/s   Blk_read   Blk_wrtn
sda1              1.43        33.72        60.85  129287651  233314088

It is surely not saturated by I/O. %iowait is less than 1.0.

The view computation is running from more than 5 hours and I would
like to see the view server use all the available cores and it will be
even better it if is possible add more nodes to assist the view
computation.