couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ben Hood <0x6e6...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Temporal data
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:28:41 GMT
Jason,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@proven-corporation.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to wonder if the notion that CouchDB (may!) keep old document
> versions around shouldn't be bandied about quite so publicly. It strikes me
> that it's just a consequence of using MVCC, but as soon as people (myself
> included) first read about CouchDB, they think, "Hey, I can make a wiki with
> that!"

I saw the way that Couch uses versions to resolve conflicts, but the
particular use case I have in mind doesn't need to reason with a
sequence of deltas - I am only interested in being able to retrieve an
arbitrary snapshot so that the application can either compute it's own
diff or just run queries against historical data.

And I wouldn't want to misuse a feature for a purpose that it's not
designed to solve :-)

Ben