couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: couchdb commit hooks
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:25:05 GMT
>> The problem boils down to the difficulty in handing out unique user ids. We
>> understand that introduction of an AUTO INCREMENT behavior would add global
>> shared state to the db, but right now it doesn't seem like you can handle
>> this use case with the existing features of couchdb. (If I'm wrong about that
>> PLEASE correct me!) We have implemented an act-then-check procedure for this
>> for now, but the unpredictability of http request ordering stills means that
>> there can be periods of inconsistent state.

Sounds to me like your problems are stemming from your use of a surrogate
primary key for users. Using a surrogate key is something of a left-over from
decades of bad relational database design. I would suggest that you take a
closer look to see if you cant find a true primary key, like username/email.