couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Canonical JSON [Proposal for digital signatures of documents]
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:21:37 GMT
On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:52:46AM -0700, Chris Anderson wrote:
> I guess I was trying to punt on a canonical format, because of things
> like this. In my estimation, the format could be less-than-canonical
> and still capable of being reliably signed, if the signature is
> willing to put bounds on the precision needed to remain valid. There
> will be edge cases, but maybe we can discourage them by disallowing E
> notation, so that all numbers would have to be in plain old
> int.something format and if the signature wants to treat
> 0.13421143112e-12 as "0.00" that's it's business. Not perfect, but
> better than disallowing floats?

My company produce price feeds using decimals, and we need those decimals to be
decimals. For that reason, and after much messing about and research, I decided
that we should use strings for all non-int numerical values. I would be
supportive of a canonicalisation format that followed this rationale.