couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for digital signatures of documents
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:53:01 GMT
On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 04:39:32PM +0700, Jason Smith wrote:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>> It seems the goal here was to collaboratively develop a standard for interop
>> between developers in the community. Opening that up to the CouchDB community is
>> great, but it's not enough. If this is something that I'm going to care about, I
>> need to see it opened up to the entire engineering community, and focusing our
>> efforts around an RFC is exactly the way to do that.
>
> Hell, why stop there?  Send it to the United Nations.  Or the United
> Federation of Planets.

Just because JSON is seen as a trendy format doesn't mean that the process of
extending it should be as cavalier as has been previous suggested. The
engineering community is built around the tradition of standardisation through
bodies like the IETF for a reason, and if we wish to be taken seriously, it is
something we should think about.

> I agree with Noah in principle, but the low chance of receiving an IETF
> RFC blessing discourages me from investing my own time into pursuing
> that.

You're free to upload an ID right now:

  http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html

So, what's stopping you?

This is what I was trying to say in my previous emails. If someone cares about
this enough to talk about it on a mailing list, but not enough to submit an ID
to the IETF, then maybe they don't care about it enough to be taken seriously
for the scope that has been suggested.

Best,