couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 10:54:23 GMT
On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 08:38:01AM +0700, Jason Smith wrote:
> Still, DBus is tangential to the main argument.  My concern with a DBus
> API is you need a persistent process translating between DBus RPC calls
> and HTTP calls.  So all DBus gives you is a language-independent API but
> since Couch has bindings for all major languages (and direct HTTP too), I
> could be persuaded that DBus is not worth the effort.

So another point worth pondering is: why did DBus choose its own protocol,
rather than HTTP?

Probably because (a) HTTP is actually an enormous pain to implement
correctly (anybody read RFC 2616 end-to-end recently?); and (b) it's only a
transport, so unless all you're doing is fetching and putting files, you
still have to layer your own application semantics on top.

I'm no expert on DBus, but I believe it provides things like
publish-subscribe, which is not a standard HTTP application. Well, perhaps
Stomp is an ad-hoc standard. Things like asynchronous notification are also
awkward with HTTP - Comet? Supposedly small desktop applets would end up
carrying a lot of baggage if they had to use HTTP+Stomp+Comet.

B.