couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:08:25 GMT
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 08:56:15PM +0700, Jason Smith wrote:
>> Come on, let's not make the common mistake of getting distracted with technology
>> for technology's sake. I would like to see a detailed use case for having a
>> standard CouchDB database available. What actual problem would this solve?
>
> Talk like that is why there is never (let's be kind: "hardly") any
> innovation on the Linux desktop.

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit.

Read this essay, and then come back and tell me I'm talking out of my arse:

  http://inamidst.com/whits/2008/technobunkum

People spend way too much time focusing on technology for technology's sake, an
nowhere near enough time thinking about what we can actually accomplish with
that technology. When you meet someone who wants to advocate the widespread
adoption of some piece of technology, without any thought whatsoever as to how
that technology will actually help people in some defined way, you have a pretty
good indication that you're dealing with technobunkum.