couchdb-user mailing list archives

From George Palmer <george.pal...@gmail.com>
Subject Ruby library for CouchDB and a few questions
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:12:43 GMT
Hi,

I've just finished the first version of a ruby library for CouchDB.
There's plenty already I hear you cry - what makes this so special?
Well it matches the ActiveRecord API so any developers using rails and
a relational database will only have to make minor changes to replace
their existing database with CouchDB.  This makes a fairly swift
migration path for those who wish to move to CouchDB, and an easy
entry point for those using relational databases and wanting to have a
play with CouchDB.  The library also offers extra functionality on the
standard ActiveRecord API for custom views, sorting by keys etc

The library is now stable and in a position where other people can
start using it.  Grab the latest copy from github:
http://github.com/georgepalmer/couch_foo/tree/master

Throughout the development I had a few thoughts that reoccurred and
I'd be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are:

1) The bulk update docs is great but it would surely make sense to
have the same for delete and get?  Also is the update docs more
efficient than a relational database update with where conditions?
2) Is there a way to force an update even if there's a conflict?  eg
some kind of flag you can pass to say I know this update is the most
important and should overwrite all previous revisions
3) Is there a list of new features in current head/0.9?  I kept
finding out about new functionality from various sources but it seemed
the project lacked a central point for this (or there is one and I
couldn't find it)
4) Would it not be possible to do compacting as part of record
insertion, even if this isn't the default option?  For databases under
heavy load I would imagine it would make more sense to pay a little
price on every operation rather than get to the end of 24 hours and
have a big job to run.  I guess that depends on the database
application as most are likely to have a lull at some point in 24
hours (although equally I guess it depends on how long the process
takes and how resource intensive it is)
5) Are there any up-to-date performance figures?  I saw a few blog
posts from late 2007 but nothing more recent

Anyway if there are any ruby developers out there let me know your
thoughts on CouchFoo and keep up the good work on a generally awesome
database!

Cheers,

George