couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why sequential document ids? [was: Re: What's the speed(performance) of couchdb?]
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:11:12 GMT
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was talk of switching the internal uuid generationg to a version
> 1 style instead of the version 4 (random) style. My suggestion was to
> make the _uuids endpoint accept a v=[1|4] url parameter to choose with
> a config file default but people seemed to not like that idea.

Now that I've got a better grasp on the why's of each option, I think
I'm liking your idea just fine. I think the real resistance was to
making an ini setting for it.

I wonder if there's a way to get roughly ascending uuids (v1-ish)
without the security issues that come from having the originating node
permanently inscribed on each document...

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com