couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Blog
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:02:13 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Mister Donut <lady.donut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say you
> want to count pageviews. Easy, insert a document for every pageview,
> create a "sum-view". But, this will lead to way too many documents?
> Doesn't seem feasible.

I've got an old review of CouchDB as a logging platform here:

http://jchrisa.net/drl/_show/sofa/post/wide_finder_in_couchdb

The key is incremental view builds. If you have the disk to support
views of your logs, CouchDB can definitely outperform any of the other
Wide Finder solutions, when the number of queries and size of data
goes up.

You don't have to create a document per log-line... it's probably best
to buffer lines in a process, and save them to CouchDB in batches of
roughly 1,000 docs at a time, depending on how many lines you put in a
single doc.

Also, I think Patrick's answers were pretty much right.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com