couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couch as a mail store?
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:19:21 GMT
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Kenneth Kalmer
<kenneth.kalmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Feb 2009, at 15:13, Kenneth Kalmer wrote:
>>
>>  Hi everyone
>>>
>>> This is my first post, please be gentle as I risk ridicule. I've been
>>> lurking here for several months now, learning from others. Disclaimer, I
>>> have yet do do more with couch than updating and running the tests.
>>>

>> No worries, we don't bite (...usually :).
>>

> I've noticed :)
>
>  How would couch fair as a backend for a mail delivery system (in concept)?
>>

> Two words: Perfect match.
>>

> My reason for persuing the concept.
>
>  Considering you need high availability and very fast IO. Documents (email
>> messages) will be created and deleted very often, some almost
>> instantaneously.
>>
>> Couch has some great attributes that makes it sound worth exploring
>> further:
>>
>> * Fast lookup of documents
>> * Awesome replication for business continuity (especially in a low-latency
>> environment like GIG-E)
>> * Scales horizontally
>> * Ability to pull entire mailbox for user as one result, or at least bundle
>> X emails together in one response
>>
>> I can't recall seeing any thread on here in recent history discussing high
>> document deletion rates, which is effectively the case when people pop
>> their
>> mail.
>>

> A deletion is effectively a set-deleted-flag operation. Compaction then
>> takes
>> care of getting rid of the file.
>>

> So taken from other threads, you're effectively tasked with running
> compaction outside of your peak time. This is a no brainer if the other
> benefits are in reachable.
>
> While I'm here, can the docs still be recovered before compaction? Why I ask
> is that it would be a bonus to be able to access the mails and do some
> statistical reporting before compacting the database, if not, no issues.
> Mail server admins (and those footing the bills) love excessive reporting...

Old versions of docs can be recovered exactly until you compact. Also,
in terms of statistical reporting, check out Jan's stats additions
that will help reporting on the internals of CouchDB itself (think #
of requests, time per request, etc).

>  Normal filesystem-based storage of mail has other issues:
>>
>> * Messages often smaller than ethernet jumbo frames, so limited throughput
>> (couch can overcome this by bundling messages in a single response)
>> * Mostly limited by disk IO and clever tricks around solid state drive
>> usage
>> or stripping excessively fast disks
>>
>> Lets assume nothing about existing mail stores, except that filesystem ones
>> don't scale will, and I don't even want to consider the possibility of
>> raping an RDBMS for this.
>>
>> Everything is exploratory, the thought just crept into my mind a couple of
>> days ago and I'd like to bounce the idea around with everyone for fun.
>>
>> Thanks for all the hard work, and everyones patience with newbies and
>> attackers alike.
>>

> Hey, thanks for the nice words :)
>>
>> Hmm, not too much information. Let's see, if you have any more specific
>> questions, just send a follow up :)
>>

> Well, lets try and keep this as close as couch as we can and not wander off
> into the nasty world of email systems (except for effectively CRUD-ing
> messages).
>
> So mail arrives at our SMTP server. What would give us the best performance
> for ingesting mail, directly writing each doc as it arrives, or having small
> queues that empty out every X messages / Y seconds (whichever comes first)?
> Considering one of our mail clouds does about 15GB an hour during office
> hours. I know this size isn't anything when you consider larger providers,
> but we're growing constantly and some time in the future we're gonna have to
> become creative in how we store mail.

Using _bulk_docs gives you a direct RAM vs. Speed trade off. The
bigger you can make single inserts the more efficient the entire
system will be. Obviously you'll have to balance that with latency
concerns, but at 15 GiB an hour I'd imagine you'll be hitting RAM
limits before latency is a factor.

> Retrieving mail also becomes interesting, we can use one view to get the
> total number of messages for the mailbox, and then another (with parameters)
> to batch them from couchdb as we deliver them to the client. Would bulk
> updates here be the cheapest way of "mark all as read" or "delete", or would
> you again handle documents individually?
>
> Best
>

> --
> Kenneth Kalmer
> kenneth.kalmer@gmail.com
> http://opensourcery.co.za

Remember to report any numbers you find back to the list. We like to
have real world examples to point at to give new people a feeling for
what type of stuff they can throw at CouchDB. And it helps with
bragging too. :D

HTH,
Paul Davis