couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Shaun Lindsay <sh...@meebo.com>
Subject Couch clustering/partitioning Re: CouchSpray - Thoughts?
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 01:34:38 GMT
Hi all,
So, a couple months ago we implemented almost exactly the couch
clustering/partitioning solution described below.  The couch cluster (which
we called 'The Lounge') sits behind nginx running a custom module that farms
out the GETs and PUTs to the appropriate node/shard and the views to a
python proxy daemon which handles reducing the view results from the
individual shards and returning the full view.  We have replication working
between the cluster nodes so the shards exist multiple places and, in the
case of one of the nodes going down, the various proxies fail over to the
backup shards.

This clustering setup has been running in full production for several months
now with minimal problems.

We're looking to release all the code back to the community, but we need to
clear it with our legal team first to make sure we're not compromising any
of our more business-specific, proprietary code.

In total, we have:
a nginx module specifically set up for sharding databases
a 'smartproxy', written in Python/Twisted, for sharding views
and a few other ancillary pieces (replication notification, view updating,
etc)

Mainly, I just wanted to keep people from duplicating the work we've done --
hopefully we can release something back to the community in the next several
weeks.

We're having a meeting tomorrow morning to figure out what we can release
right now (probably the nginx module, at the least).  I'll let everyone know
what out timeline looks like.

--Shaun Lindsay
Meebo.com