couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Wout Mertens <wmert...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: [user] Couch as a mail store?
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:50:34 GMT
On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Kenneth Kalmer wrote:

> Normal filesystem-based storage of mail has other issues:
>
> * Messages often smaller than ethernet jumbo frames, so limited
> throughput
> (couch can overcome this by bundling messages in a single response)

wow that's really specialized. Is that really an issue?

> * Mostly limited by disk IO and clever tricks around solid state
> drive usage
> or stripping excessively fast disks

Hmmm makes me wonder - CouchDB doesn't change the position of received
documents on disk, so retrieving a view could mean many disk accesses.

Is that correct? Is that something all databases suffer from? I
suppose the only answer for that is caching?

Wout.